Acts of the Apostles
Part 2: Strategies for Evangelization
Chapter 4 • Preparing to Share the Faith (Acts 8:26-40)
Should we be strategic about our evangelization or just be led by the Spirit?
Today’s passage looks at the story of Philip and the Ethiopian eunuch. This passage teaches us how to prepare for sharing the Good News with others. Philip and the eunuch both demonstrate evangelization strategies that we can use in our lives today.
26 Then the angel of the Lord spoke to Philip, “Get up and head south on the road that goes down from Jerusalem to Gaza, the desert route.” 27 So he got up and set out. Now there was an Ethiopian eunuch, a court official of the Candace, that is, the queen of the Ethiopians, in charge of her entire treasury, who had come to Jerusalem to worship, 28 and was returning home. Seated in his chariot, he was reading the prophet Isaiah. 29 The Spirit said to Philip, “Go and join up with that chariot.” 30 Philip ran up and heard him reading Isaiah the prophet and said, “Do you understand what you are reading?” 31 He replied, “How can I, unless someone instructs me?” So he invited Philip to get in and sit with him. 32 This was the scripture passage he was reading:
“Like a sheep he was led to the slaughter,
and as a lamb before its shearer is silent,
so he opened not his mouth.
33 In (his) humiliation justice was denied him.
Who will tell of his posterity?
For his life is taken from the earth.”
34 Then the eunuch said to Philip in reply, “I beg you, about whom is the prophet saying this? About himself, or about someone else?” 35 Then Philip opened his mouth and, beginning with this scripture passage, he proclaimed Jesus to him. 36 As they traveled along the road they came to some water, and the eunuch said, “Look, there is water. What is to prevent my being baptized?” [37 ] 38 Then he ordered the chariot to stop, and Philip and the eunuch both went down into the water, and he baptized him. 39 When they came out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord snatched Philip away, and the eunuch saw him no more, but continued on his way rejoicing. 40 Philip came to Azotus, and went about proclaiming the good news to all the towns until he reached Caesarea.
- Which one of these characteristics do you struggle with the most?
- What could help you improve this area?
- Most of us haven’t seen many signs and wonders, let alone performed them like the apostles in Acts. Despite this, how do we continue to have faith that God is working in our world and working through us?
- What are some of the most influential groups [in the country]? Sometimes the more influential the group, the better the possibility of getting the message of Jesus out to as many people as possible.
- Which group of people has God put into your life for you to reach out to?
*Adapted from FOCUS